|Ohio LongArm Quilters
May 20, 2006 Meeting
|The theme for this month's
fat quarter drawing:
Winner - Mary Zeitz
|The quilt block this month for the
Block Design Exchange is a
Click here to view and print the block outline.
|Members in attendance:
Debbie Arden Anna Bachtel Rosemary Darraugh
Nancy Gano Sharon Gostlin Lynne Gray
Jackie Gritzinger Phyllis Groves Kathryn Hood
Janet Joehlin Darlie Katz Janice Kiser
Janice Marlatt Kathy McCarty Linda Miller
Ellie Monroe Sue Palumbo Nancy Rab
Connie Rice Carol Rickard Jodi Robinson
Linda Sekerak Diane Wantz Joy Watkins
Darlene Wegrynowski Mary Zeitz
MEETING MINUTES submitted by Janet Joehlin
1) Welcome to everyone.
2) No word on the non-profit status. Anna Bachtel says she will call them to see where they are in the process.
3) Please turn in Member Questionnaires to Dottie Bettiker.
4) June Meeting- The next meeting is June 17 at the Mentor Library. Diane Wantz will be setting up a display in
the library's showcase. Diane asks if anyone would be interested in putting their quilts that are displayed in this
showcase to a display at the Put-in-Bay show in July. Diane would take care of all arrangements. Contact Diane
5) July Meeting- Mantua, Ohio is the location of the July meeting. There was discussion on whether or not to
OPEN it to guests. The general consensus is that we should open it to our 10 ladies on the waiting list and our
associate members. Guests will pay $15.00 and members will pay $3.00 for food. A SWAP & SHOP will be
available at this meeting. It was also suggested this would be a good meeting for a lotto basket. Complete details
will be available on the meeting page on the website.
6) October Meeting- (Peninsula Library) It was also briefly discussed if this could be an OPEN MEETING, but we
will further discuss and decide this later.
7) The US News and World Report magazine featuring Martha Creasy and her Mom on the cover was passed
around. Also passed around was the Geagua Hospital publication with a picture and article on the first baby born
in Geauga County this bicentennial year. In the picture was the quilt Nora Brant made to celebrate the occasion.
8) Rosemary Darraugh showed us a SewBatik wide backing which is not as densely woven as regular batik fabric,
which makes it much better to quilt with.
9) Cascade Quilt Guild Show- 3 of our members will be judges at this guild show in September; Linda Miller, Pat
Waldron and Sharon Gostlin.
TREASURY- No report, see the treasury webpage for details.
FUND RAISING- $89 was raised from the lotto basket at the April Meeting.
MEMBERSHIP- We have 40 members, 3 associate members and 10 people on the waiting list.
PUBLIC RELATIONS- No report.
PROGRAM- No report.
Program: Demo by Janice Kiser - Freehand sashings and borders
Click on picture for larger image
|Ellie Monroe tries her hand
|Janice Kiser demonstrating her freehand style
|Jodi Robinson also demonstrated her "less
stress" feathers from her latest book.
Discussion of MQS and MQX from the members who attended this year
Several ladies spoke of how much fun it was to go with such a large group of OLAQ friends. Flat Carol
was spoken of often. To see the adventures of Flat Carol, go to
Linda Miller reviewed the Machine Quilters Business Manager Software and shared a handout on it with
everyone. (3 members purchased it there & 1 member already owns it)
Rosemary showed Linda Mae's Rays template.
Jodi Robinson encouraged everyone to consider entering the bigger shows, including Quilting On The
Waterfront in Duluth, MN. Go to quiltingonthewaterfront.com for entry forms.
Diane Wantz reported what a good show it was and told about the excellent classes and the great