Home
Ohio LongArm Quilters
March 5, 2005   Meeting
Meeting Schedule
Member List
Location:   
Cloverleaf High School
8525 Friendsville Road
Lodi, OH 44254

OLAQ hosted the NEORQC meeting

NEORQC Meeting Time:    10:00 am

OLAQ meeting immediately followed the
NEORQC meeting.
Theme for the
Fat Quarter
Drawing this
month:
GREEN

Winner
Nancy Gano
The quilt block this month for the
Block Design Exchange is Jacob's Ladder.
Click here to view and print the block outline.
Raffle Baskets
each valued at $100 or more
Special Thanks to all of the OLAQ Members and the following Quilt Shops for their donations.
A Piece in Time
A Quilting Asylum
A Touch of Thread Quilting Gallery
Angelics, A Quilter's Haven  3033 Cleveland Ave, SW Canton OH 44706
Bernina Store and Sew Much More
Cottonpicker's Quilt Shop
Miller's Dry Goods
Patches, Pretties 'n Lace   4550 Nelson Mosier Road,  Southington, OH 44470
The Gathering Room Quilt Shop  324 Aurora Commons Circle. Aurora, OH 44202
The Quilt Garden   1664 N. Main St. N. Canton, OH 44720
Members attending
Anna Bachtel     Dottie Bettiker     Sarah Bistline     Nora Brant     Debi Burnsworth
Linda Cline     Kathy Goss     Lynne Gray     Phyllis Groves     Patty Hughes
Kathryn Hood     Janet Joehlin     Amy Jones     Darlie Katz     Janice Kiser     Linda Miller
Ellie Monroe     Carol Rickard     Pat Waldron     Mary Zeitz
New Member
Nancy Gano
Meeting Minutes      submitted by Janet Joehlin

1)  Thank you for a great NEORQC meeting.  Everyone had a wonderful time as a result of the efforts of all the OLAQ members.  
A special thanks to the Fund Raising committee for their work on the raffle baskets and the door prizes, which were wonderful.

2)  Welcome to new member Nancy Gano from Rootstown, Ohio.

3)   Burton Quilt Show - Mary Zeitz reported for an absent Linda Bennett.  The show will be held at Century Village, June 18th
and 19th. Hours are 10-5.  Mary asks if anyone is interested in(individually) wanting to set up in her guild's Century House
Space? The guild does not have a lot of interest in participation this year but would like to keep it reserved for next year.  They will
pay the deposit but may not use it. Sarah Bistline suggests that we could split the days.  E-mail Mary if you are interested in
using the space.

4)  Batting Sample Project.  Linda Cline explained that there is problem with the white muslin shrinking after washing and
drying it.  Everyone should try for 14 inch blocks but cut them down to 13 inches if you have to. Amy Jones suggests that when
you turn in your sets, please safety pin he 3 items together (washed sample, unwashed sample, and batting sample).   Linda
Cline will make a batting information sheet for everyone to fill out. Look at the
webpage for details.

5)  Block Exchange.  Librarian - Janice Kiser.  Please hand in your blocks to Janice and she will organize and hand them out at
the next meeting.  Please make 30 copies.   Janice explained that you may join the exchange at any time.  Whatever blocks (for
past month's included) that you turn in will get passed out to the members who had already participated that month - and you
will receive the entire packets of designs for the block.  Churn Dash is April's block.  Double Wedding Ring is May's block.

6)  Lake Farmpark Show.  Briefly discussed was the possibility of OLAQ sponsoring a longarm quilting machine award.  We
also would like to have the quilter recognized in the booklet that is printed in addition to the entrant for each quilt.   These
suggestions may carry more weight if presented from OLAQ, so we will discuss at future meetings how to proceed with this.

7)  DeLoa Jones Workshop.   The event location (Camp Mowana) is requiring that each member attending the event pay for
lunch (the room is provided at no charge).   The cost of lunch is $7.50 (tax and tip included).    The maximum number of people
the room can contain is about 50,  but that will is too large a number for everyone to see and hear the lecture well enough.  We
decided to limit the number of attendees to 30.  This also means that the cost to members and non-members will need to be
increased.  It was decided that the fee to members of OLAQ will be $15 plus the cost for lunch bringing the total to $22.50.  
Non-members fee will be $20 plus lunch totaling  $27.50.
A poll will be posted on the Yahoo group for members to indicate if they want to attend the event.  The poll will CLOSE in one
week.  If we have more than 30 members who want to attend, all will be accommodated.  If we have less than 30, the Public
Relations committee will seek out non-members to attend.  We will offer it to past OLAQ members first, then go on to other
longarmer quilters in Ohio.
To help with viewing the demo, we would like to hook up a video camera to a TV monitor (available at the location).   We need to
provide the camera and the proper cable and a volunteer to operate it.   If you have a video camera that you would be willing to
loan us for the day, please email the group.  
NOTE:  Members attending the meeting only will be required to buy lunch for $7.50.

8)  The next meeting is in Austinburg, Ohio at Cotton Pickers Quilt Shop.  Check the webpage for details.

9)  Dottie Bettiker announced that her guild is hosting a vendor's night for anyone who is interested in attending. The date is
April 10th. Contact Dottie for more information.

10)  Linda Cline announced there is still room in the Leigh McDonald "One Yard Wonder" Workshop. The date for this is April
2nd-3rd. Contact Linda for more information.

11)  There was a request for Lynne Gray to bring her awesome pizzelles to every meeting. Thank you Lynne.


Commitee Reports
Treasury
- Linda Cline- See webpage for treasury balance and details.

Fund-Raising Commitee - Linda Miller reported there was 75% participation in organizing the NEORQC meeting and raffle
baskets. She will send out thank you notes to the quilt shop donors.

Program Commitee - Pat Waldron says the commitee is still looking for 2006 programs and locations.   Mary Zeitz suggested
that we host a NEORQC meeting again - Sarah Bistline will check to see what dates are still available.  She also suggested that
instead of having a regular meeting, we have mini workshops at several members' homes or studios on a regular meeting
day.   This way small groups of members can get together at a location nearest them and take some time to play on the
machine and share techniques.  
See any member of the commitee if you have any ideas or suggestions.
Here are some pictures from the meeting - click on the picture to see a larger image.
Click here for Show and Tell